Monday, August 11, 2008

Tuow, Insights, & Amazing Strength


Today was the first day of camp! Boys from our centers in Jos and centers in other villages several hours away came together today, to spend a week learning to love one another and learning to grow deeper in their faith. I am spending the week at our senior boys camp where our short-term team from Chicago is using the theme "Walk Worthy" to teach our boys about six different characteristics that are important to followers of Christ. Today we learned about how to be courageous in our life and our faith. It was a wonderful day. I was able to talk to some new boys, learn some new names, do dishes and I even learned how to cook Nigerian style . . . well sort of. :)

Ever heard of the phrase "Too many cooks in the kitchen"? Well today I was convinced there is no such thing as too many cooks in the kitchen, the more the merrier! I was able to spend a few hours in the kitchen today with our amazing cooking staff. These women are not only hilarious, full of faith and joy, but VERY strong! They were making a gigantic pot of tuow tonight (something resembling mashed potatoes in consistency and color), and they let me try and help them stir . . . I was useless . . . I couldn't do it at all . . . I was not strong enough! We all had a good laugh and I handed the large wooden stirring stick back to Rifkatu, a woman much shorter than myself and went back to peeling potatoes! :) I will take some pictures tomorrow! It was quite a sight!

Although camp is exhausting, it is wonderful and I am really enjoying having the opportunity to get to know the boys and the staff on a deeper level. Please keep us all in your prayers!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Hey J, Excited to hear all about camp! I can't wait to see Dee and Tilly next week and see all their pics and hear all the stories. Thanks for keeping us (me) posted on life there through your amazing blogs. Much love.