Sunday, August 10, 2008

Things I'm Aquiring

As I have mentioned before, Nicky, the woman I work with is from England. One would naturally assume that because we both speak English that we would be able to communicate and understand one another clearly . . . most of the time this is that case, but on occasion Nicky will say something to me and I will have NO CLUE what she is talking about. For example, when Nicky asked me to please go and open the boot. I stopped and looked at her with a very confused expression. It was then, that she remember that us Americans don't say boot, we stay trunk. I have since been educated that the boot is the trunk and the bonnet is the hood of the car . . . go figure. In addition, when Nicky reminds me to grab my costume, she is not talking about a Halloween costume, she is actually referring to my swimming suit. Likewise, pants are actually underwear, if you are talking about pants you must refer to them as trousers. Tennis shoes are canvas, rubbers are erasers and a vest is actually a tank-top. In British English, the word "bit" replaces the word "like" in American English . . . I am finding myself using the word" bit" a little bit too often now . . . :) So far my favorite British word I have learned thus far is "manky!" "Gross look at that manky toe!" "Gross look at that manky dog" are common ways one would use the word manky. It's a good word . . .

In addition to learning British English I am also learning a bit about British culture. For instance, 4:00pm is tea time . . . Beans on top of toast is a common choice for lunch, along with a jelly and banana sandwich ( I went for peanut butter and bananas . . . ) and baked potatoes are actually called jacket potatoes.
As you can see, I am being well educated in the British ways :) I can't wait until I can go and visit Nicky in England and experience all I am learning. :) I really enjoy working with Nicky, we have a lot of fun together. We often make each other laugh, especially during potentially stressful situations . . . it's always good to have someone with you, so when you see things like three people and two goats on a motorbike you can say, "Hey did you just see that?!?



This is a picture of Joseph's manky toe . . . (a good use of the word)



This is a picture of Joseph . . . His toe is better now . . . he can play football at camp!

1 comment:

Anne Higbee-Owens: said...

Hi Honey,

The slide show is wonderful. Great photography! Your blog is hilarious! Too funny! I work with Richard, at Lincoln Park Group Home, and he is from England. I know exactly what you mean! British English is fun to learn!

Love you!
Mom
:)