Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Touring In Africa


Friends and Family,
Today we had the opportunity to travel downtown to the market with Kauna our wonderful orientation leader. It was an awesome, fun, exciting, overwhelming and very African experience. You must barter for things. . . something that will take awhile for me to get used to. There are TONS of people and things everywhere. We first toured the Bature, or 'white person' market, where most items have a fixed price, for those of us who don't want to barter for everything.
We then toured the actual Nigerian market. Upon entering the first ally into the market, I was quickly approached by a man carrying 8 live chickens by their legs and asked rather forcefully, and excitedly if I wanted to by one. It took me off guard for a second and then I thought it was rather funny. The market was lots of fun, and I am excited to go back and do some more exploring. I bought some fabric, to get my own Nigerian clothing made! My two outfits should be ready next Friday, so I will post some pictures for you all to see! :)
It is the rainy season, so we have had many down pours or rain, and a few thunder showers!! :) I love thunder storms! Our power has still been very unreliable to say the least . . . it actually just went on and then off again . . . TIA.
I am getting very excited about the ministry work I will be doing here. I met with a couple more missionaries tonight, one of whom will be my mentor while I am in Nigeria. She was telling me that I will be working at Geyro, a town a 40 drive outside of Jos. I will be working with the youth there, and it looks like might have a few opportunities to stay at the compound in Geyro with the children, something I am really looking forward to. There is so much going on here, ministry wise, it is really exciting to hear about all that God is doing. Tomorrow I meet with the people in charge of City Ministries and will get more information about my job!


Thank you for all of your emails and support and encouragement, they mean so much! I miss all of you and you are all in my prayers!!

No comments: