Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Taking In Africa

Well, I have finally arrived in Jos, after the more than 24 hours of traveling . . . we landed in Germany, in the jungle, ( a place called Malabo, if you know anything about it, let me know, all I saw was jungle, a rotting airline, 2 fighter jets, helicopters, old oil pipe lines and a few tanks, looked like something out of "Blood Diamond" the movie), and finally landed in Abuja. The next morning we drove 3 hours out of the city through the beautiful country side, (sadly I wasn't able to take pictures due to the several military check points) and finally arrived in Jos.
Jos is a much bigger city than I anticipated, lots noise, cars honking all the time, people everywhere and lots of motor bike taxis called "achabbas" (if i spelled that correctly).

We have a week of orientation, put on by the missionaries here. They are all so friendly, and I am looking forward to getting to know them. I am living at a compound here called "Challenge". I have my own apartment, with a kitchen, bathroom, living room and bedroom. I took a few pictures and will try and post them.

It is the rainy season right now, so it isn't too hot, it just rains really, really hard sometimes. Last night it was raining so hard it woke me up!

There are lots of cool lizards that run around everywhere, my goal is to catch one while I'm here . . . or at least take a picture to share with you . . . :)

Today we are going to go to the market. I'm a little bit nervous, you have to barter for everything, I'm not so good at that . . . but I am looking forward to getting to see more the city.

Most people speak at least a little bit of English as it is the national language of Nigeria, but the native language is Hausa (not sure if i spelled that correctly).

Thank you all for your wonderful emails! The power, called NEPA (which people jokingly call, Never Expect Power Again) goes out all the time, like multiple times a day, so if I don't respond to your emails, it's just because I couldn't get online or I ran out of power, but I appreciate reading them all none the less!

I love you all!!

"Keep on asking and you will given what you ask for. Keep on looking and you will find, keep on knocking and the door will be opened. For everyone who asks, receives, everyone who seeks finds and the door will be opened to everyone who knocks." - Matthew 7:7

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

JAMIE!
It is so good to hear from you and to know how you are doing. I had the instinct to call you yesterday and then quickly remembered you aren't in the country! It was a sad moment. BUT... I am so excited for you and to see your pictures of where you are living... it is so great! You are dearly loved my friend and very missed! I'm praying!
Love, Jessica