Saturday, September 27, 2008

Tomorrow Is Another Adventure-

I have no idea how I will ever have a "normal" job after working here in Nigeria. I think I knew that before I came here, but now it is even more clear to me . . . I mean how can you ever spend a day inside at a desk after having a job that includes driving through dry river beds, driving through riverbed that aren't so dry, climbing mountains with kids, riding on motorbikes, painting libraries, learning to eat guava, helping kids with homework, organizing a school and helping create a home for orphaned and at risk girls and boys . . . not much compares to this! Yes, there are things that I miss about home, mainly the people (like all of you) . . . :) and of course my peppermint lattes and heath bar blizzards, but I don't think any amount of lattes or blizzards can make up for the joy that I receive doing ministry here.

I was asked today what my dream job would be . . . It didn't really take me that long to answer, I think my dream job would be to do ministry with youth and young adults, and then get to share with them what God is doing in places like Nigeria. I love those one on one conversations over a GOOD cup of coffee. i love getting to pray with people. i love planning youth group. i love planning retreats. yet I also love Africa. I love these children. I love being reminded of how BIG God is each day. I love the adventure of life here in Nigeria. I love seeing God's redemption in the lives of others, both here and at home. I guess in some ways I already have my dream job . . . but now I just need to figure out how to make a living doing it, but I guess that's for God to worry about not me . . . :)

Here a few pictures for the past few days. We are in midst of painting the new library at Gyero . . . it has been quite an adventure climbing on our "scaffolding" fashioned out of two bent and rusty barrels and two pieces of wood, one with a giant crack in it . . . it is a miracle none of us got hurt! :) Although the library is now finished, we were informed by Richard , our construction manager that he would not hire us to be a part of his painting crew . . . but hey, we were free labor and we actually got the job done, so he can't complain TOO much! :)

We also got to climb one of the hills that overlooks the Gyero village! So much fun! I have really been missing our beautiful mountains at home, so this hike up the hill was good for my soul! I needed to get out and get some fresh air!

Tomorrow I will be heading up to Kano, a city about 4 hours north of Jos, for a few days. Please pray for our safety as we travel on the roads. I will bring back more pictures for you all!! You are all in my prayers! I love you and miss each of you! Thank you for your support and encouragement!














No comments: