Sunday, August 24, 2008

Thrill In Arrivals

I have just passed my two month mark here in Nigeria. It is strange to reflect on my time spent here so far because in some ways it feels like I have always been here. The sounds, smells, tastes and sights are no longer new, but are now a normal part of my everyday life and a normal part of me. Yet, in other ways I am still overwhelmed by new experiences and feel like I have just arrived in this strange foreign land. Because so much of the daily life in Nigeria has become normal, it's easy to forget that I am living in Africa working with orphans, but today was not one of those days. Today was a day when I was reminded of how different my life here is from my life at home.

As I have mentioned before, a goal of City Ministries is to reconcile as many children as possible back into their families. Although the ministry care centers are great and provide in many cases better food, clothing and schooling for the children than they may be able to receive at home, nothing can replace the love and support of a family. So after a time of discipleship in the ministry, if children have a family to be reconciled with, the ministry will check out the family situation, meet with the family members several times and work towards sending the children back home.

Today, I had the opportunity to go along with Nicky and Pastor Jege as we took five boys home to be reconciled with their families. Although the whole day was filled with wonderful moments, watching mothers being united with their sons after 2, 3, and even 4 years, neighborhood friends being reunited with their playmates, sisters having a big brother again, or aunties having a nephew again, I was struck mostly by our last stop, at Pam's house.

Pam has been in the ministry for two years now. His mother brought him to Gidan Bege after he suddenly began stealing from his family, neighbors and friends surrounding the time of his father's death. As a result of his stealing, he couldn't live at home because his community wouldn't accept him any more. After being cared for and discipled by the ministry, Pam is now a kind, responsible young boy who is at the top of his class in school. After a few visits with his family earlier in the year, the ministry decided that it was time for Pam to be reconciled with his family.

Although Pam was emotional and has a lot of fears about going back to his family, he couldn't help but smile when his auntie came running out yelling his name the moment we arrived at his house this afternoon. We waited for his mother to arrive home from church while we talked with Pam's aunt and uncle, and his younger brothers and sisters played outside. When his mother arrived and came in to greet us, I was overwhelmed by her thankfulness. She was on her hands and knees thanking Pastor and Nicky for what they and the ministry had done for her son, Pam. It was incredible. She was so thankful that she had her son back and so thankful that God had provided for him and changed his heart.

There was nothing normal about sitting and watching this woman who was so overcome with joy, who was telling us that she was "the happiest woman on the Earth." What a reminder of God's love for each of us, and what a reminder that it is a gift, blessing and honor to be serving the Lord here in Nigeria.

"To illustrate the point further, Jesus told them this story: 'A man had two sons. The younger son told his father, I want my share of your estate now, instead of waiting until you die. So the father agreed to divide his wealth between his sons. A few days later his younger son packed all his belongings and took a trip to a distant land, and there he wasted all his money on wild living. About the time his money ran out, a great famine swept over the land, and he began to starve. He persuaded a local farmer to hire him to feed his pigs. The boy became so hungry that even the pods he was feeding to the pigs looked good to him. But no one gave him anything. When he finally came to his senses, he said to himself ' at home even the hired men have food enough to eat and here I am dying of hunger.' I will go home to my father and say "Father, I have sinned against both heaven and you, and I am no longer worthy of being called your son. Please take me on as a hired man." So he returned home to his father. And while he was still a long distance away, his father saw him coming. Filled with love and compassion, he ran to his son, embraced him, and kissed him."
- Luke 15: 11-21

No comments: