Thursday, July 3, 2008

Time In Africa

Friends and Family,

There really is no other title to this blog, besides, This Is Africa. We have been without power for almost a week now. The story behind why we have been out of power for so long is quite interesting, but I think I will save that story for when I get home, and not post it on the Internet . . . Oh Africa.

On another TIA note, we had a major thunder and lightening storm all afternoon and last night which included hail. Yes, my friends hail in Africa. So much hail actually that it put holes in the roof of some of our buildings. Let me tell you, trying to fall asleep during a thunder and lightening hail storm, when you have a tin roof over your head, is nearly impossible. I have a great video clip of the hail storm which I will post on my blog, but I don't have my camera with me at the moment. I have to go to the office to use the Internet, because our Internet won't work at home with out power . . . TIA.

On the ministry front, things are going very well. I am really enjoying working with Nicky. I am getting a very good view of the administrative side of ministry and have really enjoyed working on the reconciliation project with her. I am getting to know the Nigerian staff very well, because I spend a lot of time in meetings with them. They are working on teaching me Hausa, and I have to say, I am not a good student! You can pray that I retrain some of the language better and that I work harder at it . . .most people speak English, so I'm sad to say I have been a bit lazy in trying to pick up the local language.

Along with working with Nicky, I will be spending Tuesday nights out in Geryo, our village center. Tuesday night is family nights, so I will be playing games, doing crafts, reading books, doing devotionals and many other things with the 13 orphan girls at Geryo. I am really looking forward to this. I was able to spend Friday at Geryo playing with the girls, and greatly enjoyed it. I did get very sunburned, so I learned my lesson early . . . always wear sunscreen, even if it's not sunny out! :)

Today we just received a new little orphan girl, named Mary. We will be taking her to Geryo in the morning. He father died in an accident several years ago and her mother just passed away last Wednesday. I was able to meet her today, she is very sweet and very shy, but if my mother had just died and I was coming to live in an orphanage, I think I would be a little overwhelmed too . . .

So many of these kids have stories that break your heart. They have been through more in their short little lives than many of us will go through in our long lives. Please be praying for Mary and for all of the kids involved with our ministry. Keep the staff and the missionaries in your prayers as well.

I love you and miss you all!! Thank you for your encouraging emails and to those of you who are sending me packages, I am so excited to get them!! You are in my prayers!!

No comments: